Rijan evova a linkwa nin myya'li par'orivaz. Elekhezi travom uan istu blog avair'kerez tratam za zavaja nach ista linkwa kur teld zai rijani.
Translation:
Rijan is a language that I am [in the process of] creating. I decided to work on this blog because I wish to share [lit: give] the knowledge of this language with the world.
---~*~---
I've elected to use a similar format with this blog as is used with other language-learning resources. I'll begin with the phonics and simple phrases, then we'll work our way toward increasingly complex grammar and verb tenses. Oh, and we can't forget the script; Rijan uses its own alphabet.
About the Language
I first began toying with the concept of a constructed language when I was in fifth grade, in order to add more depth to a series of novels I was working on, which to this day remain unfinished. Since back then I didn't have much of a grasp of how a language actually functioned, very little actual progress was made on Rijan (pronounced REE-yahn) until about three years later, after I had a few foreign language lessons under my belt, and could do a bit more than just make up gibberish and hope it fit together.
Rijan began its journey as the official language of the people of Rijavvid, a fictional continent. Grammatically, it follows very much the same structure as Spanish or other Romance languages, and even contains quite a few loan words from Spanish and Latin. However, the phonics of it are taken from Finnish, German, and similar languages. (I liked borrowing insults from Finnish, like the word tollo, meaning buffoon, which I morphed into tuolu in Rijan.) But we'll get into the grammar a bit later; that's not how one naturally learns a language.
Along with regular lessons, I'll throw in some translations of quotes from books, movies, or famous people; or sometimes I might translate an entire poem. I'm also toying with the idea of a Pala nach za Di (Word of the Day).
No comments:
Post a Comment