We all have titles. Whether it be President, Doctor, King, or just Father, Mother, or Daughter, we're something to someone else. In English, titles come before a person's name, like "President Barack Obama" or "King George III." But in Rijan, the title comes after the name. Observe:
Barack Obama Manazhu "President Barack Obama"
Morne Patryyn "Godfather Death"
Familial terms count as titles as well. As an example, let's set up a family situation here. If my name were Richard, and my father's name were John, my mother's Constance; and if I had an elder brother named Pat, a younger one named Connor, and a twin sister named Ruth, the way I would describe my family would be like this:
Evoz Richard.
I am Richard.
Malya evovu John Paterru.
He is John, my father.
Damya evova Constance Materra.
She is Constance, my mother.
Istu rijan evovu Pat Su'vraterru.
This man is Pat, my elder brother*.
Isu evovu Connor Ju'vraterru.
This is Connor, my younger brother.
Ista juva evova Ruth Vraterra.
This girl is Ruth, my sister.
Uan za optyl nach myya patru, evoz Richard Filyrru.
To my da, I am his son Richard.
Titles in Rijan can get pretty complex and long-winded.
George Manarakku'Treiju nach Ainglizhja means "King George III of England."
...which isn't very long, but it can get like this:
Zhoshanath Manarakka nach zai Nevaki inde za Filyrra nach Zhaemas
which means...
Queen Susannah of the Nevaki** and Daughter of James.
----------------------------
*Su' and Ju' are prefixes meaning "elder" and "younger," respectively. They can be left off, but are helpful when describing the relative age of an individual. Materra, Paterru, Vraterru and Vraterra can also be shortened to Matra, Patru, Vratru, and Vratra.
**The Nevaki are an ethnic group residing on the fictional continent of Rijavvid, for which I constructed the language. I suppose I'll have to cover Rijan geography, politics, culture, and religion in later entries.
No comments:
Post a Comment